Re: [Help-gnunet] gnunet cash

From: Benjamin Kay
Subject: Re: [Help-gnunet] gnunet cash
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 2004 19:25:53 +0000

On Thursday 15 April 2004 08:03 am, Steven wrote:
> How long does it take to get a decent "reputation"?  How quickly can I ruin
> a reputation?
>
> OK, lets assume that from the moment I connect to the network, I never
> break a connection with node A, node A is well "respected" and that network
> load is normal.  How long will I have to to work for Node A before Node A
> begins to treat me with a little respect?  Is gnunet cash earned and spent
> in a matter of seconds, or over a period of weeks?
>
> Should I wait a few hours after connecting to the network to start making
> requests?  Or should I just jump right in and get what I want?

I'm not the person to ask, but I will share a brief story. After sharing
bandwith and content for 56 hours, I tried to download a 600 MB file. The
download started at 4.8 kB/s and decayed to 100 B/s within five minutes.
Whether this was caused by my node burning through its cash or some other
problem in GNUnet I know not, but it would seem that built-up trust with
other nodes doesn't actually get you very far.

So yeah, just request right away.