Re: [Help-gnunet] gnunet cash

From: Igor Wronsky
Subject: Re: [Help-gnunet] gnunet cash
Date: Fri, 16 Apr 2004 00:20:23 +0300 (EEST)

On Thu, 15 Apr 2004, Benjamin Kay wrote:

> I'm not the person to ask, but I will share a brief story. After sharing
> bandwith and content for 56 hours, I tried to download a 600 MB file. The
> download started at 4.8 kB/s and decayed to 100 B/s within five minutes.
> Whether this was caused by my node burning through its cash or some other
> problem in GNUnet I know not, but it would seem that built-up trust with
> other nodes doesn't actually get you very far.

I'd hazard a guess that the case you mention has probably
nothing to do with trust. The most likely scenario is that
someone has inserted/indexed the file, no-one has ever
downloaded it, but some blocks of it have managed to migrate
during the time the node was around. You get the migrated
blocks fast, and if you'll ever get the rest, depend
on if the inserting node still hangs around, or someone
else inserts exactly the same file. For many of the files
found by trivial keywords, the answer seems to be 'no'.
Some nodes also have abysmally small bandwidth limits,
in which case a 100b/sec trickle just can't be helped,
if the blocks aren't anywhere else.

Afaik, there is no simple, good technical solution
known to this problem in an anonymous setting.

Igor