Re: [Help-gnunet] gnunet cash

From: Christian Grothoff
Subject: Re: [Help-gnunet] gnunet cash
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 2004 14:50:22 -0500

On Thursday 15 April 2004 03:03, Steven wrote:
> How long does it take to get a decent "reputation"?  How quickly can I ruin
> a reputation?

It is not a question of time, but a question of how good your peer is at
answering requests.  The more popular the content on your peer is (and the
more the peer sends out), the faster it will gain a reputation.  If you node
is online for the lifetime of the universe but does not reply to queries, it
will not get a good reputation.

> OK, lets assume that from the moment I connect to the network, I never
> break a connection with node A, node A is well "respected" and that network
> load is normal.  How long will I have to to work for Node A before Node A
> begins to treat me with a little respect?  Is gnunet cash earned and spent
> in a matter of seconds, or over a period of weeks?

Again, that depends on how heavy you are downloading.  Of course, you can not
expect it to be 1:1, that is, you send out 1kb and you receive 1kb, mostly
because due to the anonymous nature of the network it takes much more work to
actually deliver 1kb of data.  How much more depends on many things
(popularity, network size, etc.), which is also why the 'price' is not the
same for all content.

> Should I wait a few hours after connecting to the network to start making
> requests?  Or should I just jump right in and get what I want?

Jump right in, it will pretty much always be slow either way; all that the
accounting tries to do is make it faster for people that contribute.  In
general, the idea of just accumulating credit to spend "later" is typically a
bad idea, any form of money only works if people actually put it into use.