help-liquidwar6

Re: [Help-liquidwar6] Release 0.0.6beta

From: Christian Mauduit
Subject: Re: [Help-liquidwar6] Release 0.0.6beta
Date: Mon, 12 Jan 2009 10:22:13 +0100 (CET)

Hi,

On Mon, January 12, 2009 3:32 am, Kasper Hviid wrote:
> Congratulations with your great work! Version 0.0.6 seems to be very
> closer at being a finished game than I would have dared to imagine. Of
> course there is still that network thing, but the game itself is up
> and running. I have not created any new levels lately, but to see how
> the code evolves is really inspirering. I'm pretty sure I'm back on
> the track.
Can I assume the .exe installer works and the game runs at acceptable
speed on MS-Windows? This is not obvious for me for I'm compiling the game
on a low-end computer which does not have any hardware accelerator, so I
get about 0.1 frames/sec ;) I'm still not 100% sure the OpenGL bindings
are OK.

>> IMHO this layer stuff is *cool*.
>
> I tends to agree. I think I have understood how the layers works ...
> they have to sorta, like, overlap each other to connect, right? Gotta
> try it out.
Yep, overlap, that's exactly it.

> Aside from creating bridges and tunnels levels, I think I'll look at
> the rules.xml of my existing maps, to make them a bit more individual.
Note the three files now -> rules.xml, hints.xml and style.xml. For
instance in the 0.0.6beta release I assigned (in hints.xml) a minimum
surface to fishy, for when it was too small, fighters would cross the
limit between the upper/lower part because this limit was getting so thin
it had holes in it.

> The sound when I mouse-over on a menu item is a bit annoying in the
> long run. I have some sound files which might be useful. I have
> recorded and edited them a long time ago, but never put them to use.
> They are in .wav format.
>
> Download link:
> https://download.yousendit.com/bVlDb3BITkE4NVhIRGc9PQ
I agree, the current sounds play in the absolute crap category, I
downloaded your files, need to hear that!

> A bit of TODO I encountered:
> In the maps: rename readme.txt to README. (my bad, I know)
Well, it's not that important anymore, 0.0.6beta will happily read
"README or README.txt", whatever comes first, and on MS-Windows platforms,
"README.txt" and "readme.txt" are the same. Besides, the packager which
prepares the .zip and .exe files systematically renames "README" to
"readme.txt". Do not waste your time on this, I did it already ;)

> Mention the min/max value of stuff like 'nb-move-tries' in the
> documentation.
You're right. However this has to be coupled to the actual source code, I
need to find a way to do this the right way (that is, without copy/pasting
the values). Just to say I'm aware it's important, but it can't be done
instantaneously. Meanwhile, FYI, the min/max values are all in the
"src/lib/map/map.h" file. You can see it in the source or online (*) on:
http://www.gnu.org/software/liquidwar6/coverage/src/lib/map/map.h.gcov.html

Have a nice day,

Christian.

(*) this is not directly related to your post, but
http://www.gnu.org/software/liquidwar6/coverage/
shows the "code coverage" obtained when running "liquidwar6 --test".
It gives an idea of the stuff covered by the automatic test suite. The
situation isn't that bad ;)

--
Christian Mauduit <address@hidden> - http://www.ufoot.org/ ___ __/\__
Liquid War 6 - http://www.gnu.org/software/liquidwar6/     / _")\~ \~/