help-liquidwar6

Re: [Help-liquidwar6] About rules.xml

From: Christian Mauduit
Subject: Re: [Help-liquidwar6] About rules.xml
Date: Mon, 19 Jan 2009 09:51:52 +0100 (CET)

Hi,

On Sat, January 17, 2009 11:49 am, Kasper Hviid wrote:
> By the way, how much do the layer[2-6].png files slow down the game?
> Is the slowdown just because the overlapping areas makes the total
> play field larger, or is there more to it?
Yeah, that's it, if you have two layers you can have 2 fighters at the
same x,y position, one on top (z=0) and one on bottom (z=1). The same way,
if you have 5 layers "all the same", then your map is in a "5 players can
fit in one place" mode, so there are 5 times as many fighters as on a
single layered map, so it's, globally, 5 times slower, or, at least, it
consumes about 5 times as much CPU. I'm exagerating a bit, but it's the
main idea.

> With <flat
> key="hidden-layer-alpha" value="1"/> I could use layers to fix that
> fishy-level, but this might be, sorta, overkill.
Yeah, overkill. Besides hidden-layer-alpha is just a rendering option, has
nothing to do with game logic.

> Will it be possible to turn the bluring of the fighters on/off? I kind
> of miss the pixels-moving-around look from LW5.
Mmm, probably. I think this is linked to texture filtering in OpenGL, by
default the game uses bilinear or something like this, but one could use
another parameter, I suspect a command like:

glTexParameterf( GL_TEXTURE_2D, GL_TEXTURE_MAG_FILTER, GL_NEAREST);

somewhere in the C code would achieve what you want. I'll consider putting
this as an option in a later release.

> I found the menu system easy to use, but it was a bit confusing that
> the menus all looked the same. I think there should be something that
> at least made the main menu stand out visually. I could create some
At some time, I was thinking of implementing breadcrumbs, that is, area
that would display, like on a web page:
"Root menu > Map Menu > Extra > Foo dir > Bar map"
Additionnally, an explicit "back" button would be somewhat usefull too, it
happens the "right-click = cancel" binding isn't intuitive after all and,
besides, it poses a problem to make the game playable on a device which
does not have "right-click", a touch-screen being a good example of such a
device.

> illustrations for the menu background (texture.jpeg +
> texture-alpha.jpeg). But now, the levels takes ½ sec to load in the
> level submenu -- if illustrations would slow down the menu/submenus,
> it wouldn't exactly improve the game.
I don't get it.

Have a nice day,

Christian.