help-liquidwar6

Re: [Help-liquidwar6] About rules.xml

From: Kasper Hviid
Subject: Re: [Help-liquidwar6] About rules.xml
Date: Mon, 19 Jan 2009 18:13:52 +0100

2009/1/19 Christian Mauduit <address@hidden>:
> On Sat, January 17, 2009 11:49 am, Kasper Hviid wrote:
>> I found the menu system easy to use, but it was a bit confusing that
>> the menus all looked the same. I think there should be something that
>> at least made the main menu stand out visually. I could create some
> At some time, I was thinking of implementing breadcrumbs, that is, area
> that would display, like on a web page:
> "Root menu > Map Menu > Extra > Foo dir > Bar map"
> Additionnally, an explicit "back" button would be somewhat usefull too, it
> happens the "right-click = cancel" binding isn't intuitive after all and,
> besides, it poses a problem to make the game playable on a device which
> does not have "right-click", a touch-screen being a good example of such a
> device.

I haven't seen breadcrumbs used in a program, except Adobe Bridge. It
would be quite useful when navigating the extra-maps subfolders.

It would also be possible to let all the navigation be based on the
breadcrumbs, like this:
http://img244.imageshack.us/img244/2094/breadcrumbsjw7.jpg

I think I have been using the escape key to step backward, so a back
button might be a good idea.

>> illustrations for the menu background (texture.jpeg +
>> texture-alpha.jpeg). But now, the levels takes ½ sec to load in the
>> level submenu -- if illustrations would slow down the menu/submenus,
>> it wouldn't exactly improve the game.
> I don't get it.

Sorry, I'll try again:

My idea was some pictogram-like illustrations (such as toothed wheels
for the options menu) to give the player some landmarks in the menu
structure. I considered some simple pencil drawings.

Technically, if the menus should have illustrations, it would probably
be smartest to re-use the same code which is used to display the maps,
which would mean that I would have to create a texture.jpeg and a
texture-alpha.jpeg for each menu illustration.

However, when I am in the 'Choose map' submenu, it takes about ½
second to change from one map to the next. If it likewise would take ½
second to go to navigate between submenus, because they had to load a
fancy illustration, it would be uncool.

Anyways, I'm currently working at my very first map with layers. I
think layer gives a good illusion of a 3rd dimension. So far, the map
looks like this:

http://img166.imageshack.us/img166/9657/mux2color1mp3.jpg

 - Kasper