koha-devel

Re: [Koha-devel] New Feature: Improved Z39.50 Client

From: José Parrella
Subject: Re: [Koha-devel] New Feature: Improved Z39.50 Client
Date: Fri, 03 Nov 2006 09:53:59 -0400

Paul POULAIN escribió:
> Most (all?) distros are provided with mySQL4 as well as mySQL5, so
> that's not a major problem I think.

Debian 4.0 (codename "Etch", ETA December 2006) doesn't provide MySQL
4.0 or 4.1, just a 5.0 server, and actually it might be released with a
5.1 server. Chances are you won't see MySQL 4.x officially supported in
any of the next Debian releases.

I had a hard time trying to setup MySQL 4.1 in an Etch box, and even
after I made it, I felt uncomfortable about having MySQL outside my
packaging system, so I had to fall back to Debian 3.1 which only
provides MySQL 4.1, but also provides less packaged Perl modules; for
example some modules under the MARC namespace are packaged in Etch but
not in Sarge.

I think Alex King pointed out in previous messages and threads that the
Debian packaging would suffer a lot from this. This also affects Ubuntu,
since they don't provide MySQL 4 since Dapper, and other Debian
derivatives, including local developments we're working out in
Venezuela. However I understand that it's not responsible to ship 2.2
versions of Koha with faulty or sloppy MySQL 5 support.

> In rel_3_0, toins is working hard to achieve mySQL5 compatibility, and
> it's not a small task because it requires many many testings.

Given my previous opinions, I do consider it very important to improve
(and maybe unofficially backport) MySQL 5 support in 3.0 releases of
Koha. If you are going to release test packages of Koha with MySQL 5
support, please let me know so I can test it and provide some feedback.

I'm sorry I can't offer my help as a DBA, since my DB skills are quite
poor. I can actually help with Debian packaging if someone needs any
help on that.

Jose

--
José M. Parrella -> Debian Sid, k2.6.17.13
Escuela de Ingenieria Electrica