koha-devel

Re: [Koha-devel] New Feature: Improved Z39.50 Client

From: Jerry Van Baren
Subject: Re: [Koha-devel] New Feature: Improved Z39.50 Client
Date: Fri, 03 Nov 2006 10:16:47 -0500

José Parrella wrote:
Paul POULAIN escribió:
Most (all?) distros are provided with mySQL4 as well as mySQL5, so
that's not a major problem I think.

Debian 4.0 (codename "Etch", ETA December 2006) doesn't provide MySQL
4.0 or 4.1, just a 5.0 server, and actually it might be released with a
5.1 server. Chances are you won't see MySQL 4.x officially supported in
any of the next Debian releases.

I had a hard time trying to setup MySQL 4.1 in an Etch box, and even
after I made it, I felt uncomfortable about having MySQL outside my
packaging system, so I had to fall back to Debian 3.1 which only
provides MySQL 4.1, but also provides less packaged Perl modules; for
example some modules under the MARC namespace are packaged in Etch but
not in Sarge.

[snip]

Jose

FWIIW, you can "pin" versions using /etc/apt/preferences so you could pin MySQL to 4.* with a more advanced Debian system. You can also downgrade a MySQL 5.* installation to 4.*, but that might be tough because of dependencies... it is probably better to install Debian testing/Etch without MySQL, pin MySQL to 4.*, and then install MySQL (which will install 4.x since it is pinned).

This is theoretical, I have not done this specifically with MySQL.  YMMV.

gvb