koha-devel

Re: [Koha-devel] (koha 3.0) OPAC search results list

From: Joshua M. Ferraro
Subject: Re: [Koha-devel] (koha 3.0) OPAC search results list
Date: Sat, 7 Jul 2007 11:28:50 -0500 (CDT)

----- "Spencer Anspach" <address@hidden> wrote:

> > Some records in the example result set do not have a main author
> entry,
> > therefore, there is no author entry link for those records in the
> brief
> > result set list.  The brief records should include links to added
> entry
> > authors in addition to main entry authors.
>
> is subject to strenuous debate and I, for one, would argue against
> this approach.  I think the difference between main entry author and
> added entry author, for those who catalog using rules that include
> this concept, is very important.  Where there's no main author entry,
> I think the display of the result set should reflect that fact.
Spencer, I'm curious if you're coming at this from a cataloger's
perspective, or from a user's.

One thing I've often noticed, is that the average user often would
view a corporate name (like 'Time Life Books') as a series, not
an author, and I've been asked by some users to put Corporate Name
entries (110$a) down in series listings ...

I've not seen many cases of Meeting Name entries (field 111 in MARC)
so don't have much of an intuition on those.

As far as main vs. added entries, I think again, that's all in who
the audience is. I've had plenty of users express confusion over
the difference.

What I have noticed, is that professionally trained catalogers view
the bibliographic universe in vastly, and often incompatible ways,
from the average library user. While the distinctions that catalogers
make are essential for accurately recording materials, they aren't
always the best as a resource for finding what the user wants.

So I guess the questions is, how can we build a search tool that
satisfies both worldviews :-)

Cheers,

address@hidden |Full Demos at http://liblime.com/koha |1(888)KohaILS