koha-devel

Re: [Koha-devel] (koha 3.0) OPAC search results list

From: Spencer Anspach
Subject: Re: [Koha-devel] (koha 3.0) OPAC search results list
Date: Fri, 6 Jul 2007 08:04:36 -0400

While the section

2.1.1.  DISABILITY ACCESS.

Keyboard support is an important disability access issue as well.
Disability access is a matter of law in the US.  Unfortunately, too many
US libraries seem to ignore the requirements of the Americans with
Disabilities Act except for wheelchair access at entrances.

It would be nice if Koha could claim to support best practises for
disability access.

gets my 100% agreement, I can't say the same for everything else.

Specifically,

4.  MISSING RECORD ELEMENTS.

Some records in the example result set do not have a main author entry,
therefore, there is no author entry link for those records in the brief
result set list.  The brief records should include links to added entry
authors in addition to main entry authors.

is subject to strenuous debate and I, for one, would argue against
this approach.  I think the difference between main entry author and
added entry author, for those who catalog using rules that include
this concept, is very important.  Where there's no main author entry,
I think the display of the result set should reflect that fact.

Spencer

--
Spencer M. Anspach, Library Systems Analyst/Programmer
Library Information Technology, Indiana University