libcdio-devel

Re: [Libcdio-devel] New MMC routines and thoughts on eject

From: Burkhard Plaum
Subject: Re: [Libcdio-devel] New MMC routines and thoughts on eject
Date: Wed, 11 Oct 2006 16:38:54 +0200

Hi,

R. Bernstein wrote:
[...]
Will reactivate my eject buttons and test them ASAP.

Been thinking more about the eject problem. Would it make sense to
have two kinds of eject, one that does OS magic and another that just
works at drive level? Might it not be the case that some programs want
to eject only if the OS doesn't have to get involved (which may also
require special permission), while other applications might want an
unconditional eject?

I think a single function API like cdio_eject_media_drive() is
sufficient.

I cannot think of a situation, where an application should care about
how the eject is realized internally, but maybe I'm wrong.
IMO it's more important to implement ejecting as reliable as possible,
which will probably involve trying several methods anyway.

Cheers

Burkhard