libreplanet-ca-on

Re: [lp-ca-on] Respects Your Freedom hardware, has anyone bought some?

From: Blaise Alleyne
Subject: Re: [lp-ca-on] Respects Your Freedom hardware, has anyone bought some?
Date: Thu, 7 Jan 2016 19:42:36 -0500

On 07/01/16 06:39 PM, George Standish wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 07, 2016 at 06:08:51PM -0500, Blaise Alleyne wrote:
>> My main hesitation over buying a Libreboot X200 is spending ~$1000 CAD to
>> still have an ancient CPU. (And also because I've already put an SSD in my
>> X60, could do the Libreboot installation service on it, etc.)
>
> I notice a HUGE difference between my X60 and my R400.  Having 64bit is a
> great start - more memory then the 3GB in x60.  Better graphics, is also an
> advantage.  But "raw" cpu power is night and day betwen the two.

That's what I was afraid of! haha

Was your X60 upgraded at all?

I found maxing it to 3GB RAM made a small but noticeable difference, and
switching to an SSD was absolute night and day as well...

The thing boots in like 20 seconds from off to GNOME 3 all loaded, with the
slowest step often being typing my password. It's blazing fast for many things,
but then I get too many tabs open in IceWeasel, and I can just see the CPU
churning away... painfully slow at some things, blazing fast for others...

(Though, I just massively improved IceWeasel performance last week by setting an
AccelMethod in my xorg.conf, moving IceWeasel from 2 FPS to like 30 FPS
performance, and moving from 300 open tabs to 70...lol... so I don't know how
much of my performance pain is software/usage...)