libreplanet-ca-on

Re: [lp-ca-on] Respects Your Freedom hardware, has anyone bought some?

From: Sergio Durigan Junior
Subject: Re: [lp-ca-on] Respects Your Freedom hardware, has anyone bought some?
Date: Thu, 07 Jan 2016 15:40:23 -0500

On Thursday, January 07 2016, Rudolf wrote:

> http://www.fsf.org/resources/hw/endorsement/respects-your-freedom
>
> I'm the proud owner of a few Raspberry Pis (1x 1 and 2x 2) but I know they
> aren't quite free (or least aren't certified as RYF).

Hey Rudolf,

Raspberry Pi is definitely not free.  I don't come even close to them.

> Are there any small devices like the Raspberry Pi or laptops within the
> price range of $400-500 that are RYF or can be made to RYF?

For small devices, I think you can go with BeagleBone Black.  They still
have issues but it's possible to use them without getting your hands and
your conscience dirty.  More info here:
<https://www.fsf.org/resources/hw/single-board-computers>.

As for computers, ThinkPenguin is not 100% free (proprietary BIOS) but
it comes real close.  I've been thinking about buying one of them for a
while now (and perhaps play with libreboot).  There's also
<http://minifree.org/>, which is 100% free and RYI-certified.  And you
can also buy some compatible Thinkpad and exorcise it (there are some
tutorials on how to do that).

> Maybe by disabling the onboard wifi and using the ThinkPenguin Wifi adapter
> or something like that?

Problem is not always the wifi.  There's BIOS, there's Intel AMT, and
other nasty stuff under the hood.

Cheers,

--
Sergio
GPG key ID: 237A 54B1 0287 28BF 00EF  31F4 D0EB 7628 65FC 5E36