libreplanet-ca-on

Re: [lp-ca-on] Respects Your Freedom hardware, has anyone bought some?

From: Rudolf
Subject: Re: [lp-ca-on] Respects Your Freedom hardware, has anyone bought some?
Date: Thu, 07 Jan 2016 20:32:33 +0000

On Thu, Jan 7, 2016 at 3:28 PM Stephen Paul Weber <address@hidden> wrote:
I own the Gluglug X60 (since replaced by the Minifree X200).  It's a very
nice machine.

>I'm the proud owner of a few Raspberry Pis (1x 1 and 2x 2) but I know they
>aren't quite free (or least aren't certified as RYF).

Very unfree (can't boot without going through a nonfree GPU blob).

That's what I figured, ah well at least FreedomBox runs well on it ;-)

>Are there any small devices like the Raspberry Pi or laptops within the
>price range of $400-500 that are RYF or can be made to RYF?

So, not RYF (as in, not endorsed), but the hummingboard is i.MX6, so if you buy the version without wifi/bluetooth and don't use the VPU (video decoder) firmware blob everything else about it is libre-compatible.

what's the price range of the i.MX6?

For laptops, see http://minifree.org/ -- their stuff is endorsed and
proceeds support the awesome libreboot project.  It's on the high-side of
your price range, but you can't beat it for freedom.

True enough, will consider it, definitely cheaper than some of the system76 models I was looking at.

-rudolf