libreplanet-ca-on

Re: [lp-ca-on] Respects Your Freedom hardware, has anyone bought some?

From: Blaise Alleyne
Subject: Re: [lp-ca-on] Respects Your Freedom hardware, has anyone bought some?
Date: Thu, 7 Jan 2016 15:34:49 -0500

On 07/01/16 03:28 PM, Stephen Paul Weber wrote:
>> Are there any small devices like the Raspberry Pi or laptops within the
>> price range of $400-500 that are RYF or can be made to RYF?
>
> [...] For laptops, see http://minifree.org/ -- their stuff is endorsed and
> proceeds
> support the awesome libreboot project.  It's on the high-side of your price
> range, but you can't beat it for freedom.

I was asking about this on pump.io the other day, and Christopher Allan Webber
(also using a Minifree machine) suggested on price that an alternate option is
to get a used X200 or T400 and do the upgrades, wireless card swap, and
Libreboot installation service yourself.
https://identi.ca/balleyne/note/PZ93HW7NT5auktIUe1AYxQ

Personally, it's worth the price for me (esp. since proceeds support Libreboot),
but you can go the DIY route for less money too.