libreplanet-ca-on

Re: [lp-ca-on] Respects Your Freedom hardware, has anyone bought some?

From: Stephen Paul Weber
Subject: Re: [lp-ca-on] Respects Your Freedom hardware, has anyone bought some?
Date: Thu, 7 Jan 2016 15:28:16 -0500

I own the Gluglug X60 (since replaced by the Minifree X200). It's a very nice machine.

I'm the proud owner of a few Raspberry Pis (1x 1 and 2x 2) but I know they
aren't quite free (or least aren't certified as RYF).

Very unfree (can't boot without going through a nonfree GPU blob).

Are there any small devices like the Raspberry Pi or laptops within the
price range of $400-500 that are RYF or can be made to RYF?

So, not RYF (as in, not endorsed), but the hummingboard is i.MX6, so if you buy the version without wifi/bluetooth and don't use the VPU (video decoder) firmware blob everything else about it is libre-compatible. Same sort of form factor as the Pi. Solidrun sells an assembled devices based on i.MX6 as well.

For laptops, see http://minifree.org/ -- their stuff is endorsed and proceeds support the awesome libreboot project. It's on the high-side of your price range, but you can't beat it for freedom.