libreplanet-ca-on

Re: [lp-ca-on] Respects Your Freedom hardware, has anyone bought some?

From: Blaise Alleyne
Subject: Re: [lp-ca-on] Respects Your Freedom hardware, has anyone bought some?
Date: Thu, 7 Jan 2016 18:08:51 -0500

On 07/01/16 05:18 PM, Matt Lee wrote:
> [...] I'm also considering using an X200 and moving to a desktop for my daily
> driver
> so I can have a free BIOS but the performance of a modern computer. [...]

That touches on two questions that I've been wondering over the past few weeks:

1. Is the situation any different for desktops? (Is it easier to get libreboot
running on a desktop?)

2. How much of a noticeable difference does a modern i3/i5/i7 CPU make compared
to the X200's Core 2 Duo P8400 2.26GHz processor? (Or, for what kinds of usage
would you actually notice the difference?)

Other specs from Minifree machines are pretty modern, e.g. up to 240 GB SSD (or
1 TB HDD), up to 8 GB of RAM...

My main hesitation over buying a Libreboot X200 is spending ~$1000 CAD to still
have an ancient CPU. (And also because I've already put an SSD in my X60, could
do the Libreboot installation service on it, etc.)

What kind of computing would the more modern processors make a big difference
for?