Re: [libreplanet-discuss] “I don't answer questions from women”

From: Aaron Wolf
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] “I don't answer questions from women”
Date: Tue, 24 Sep 2019 21:31:13 -0700

These issues aren't either/or, they are both.

The "virginity" joke is undeniably tied to patriarchy and sexism, and
people who are sensitive to those issues are predictably going to have a
negative reaction. This is indeed part of the long pattern of
uncomfortable issues.

That said, there's still a wide range of interpretations once we go into
judging intentions and values behind the situations.

A charitable (and I believe accurate) interpretation is that RMS was
primarily focused on a mockery of religion, particularly Christian
religion, and the "virgin" reference is based on that first and
foremost. The other metaphor of "losing virginity" by using emacs could
be plainly taken literally as a suggestion of experiencing emacs rather
than anything sexual. However, it's also *clearly* a wink-wink sort of
sexual joke that would get laughs among all-male sexist tech culture and
be found offensive by feminists and uncomfortable to women in general.

It would be *too* much of a stretch to pretend that there's *no* sexual
reference. There's no honest way to make that argument.

But claiming bluntly that RMS was saying to his fans that taking women's
virginity was great — that is an unfair characterization. If that were
stated with the one qualifier that it was part of a religious joke, it
could be more fair. It's offensive enough as a joke, but it certainly
comes across as far more grotesque if it were just a plain statement.

So it's both: RMS' joke is not in good taste, turned people away, caused
offense, and this is especially a problem in a male-dominated cultural
context. It's also true that the Twitter poster went beyond what's fair
in how it was characterized.

People can be on the right side of things in terms of what they are
criticizing and still be guilty of arguing carelessly or in bad faith.