Re: Support RMS

From: Robbt
Subject: Re: Support RMS
Date: Sat, 27 Mar 2021 12:06:01 +0000 (UTC)

I am definitely trying to stake a middle ground here and that seems like a
losing position. I read the GitHub statement that many have signed on to and I
did feel like it overly harsh in it's treatment of RMS. For instance suggesting
he has a dangerous idealogy is not true based upon what I've seen and read.

While I do agree that he has engaged in problematic behavior. He does have some
beliefs about sexuality that people find offensive but he doesn't make it a
point to promote these as an ideology as far as I know. He also doesn't appear
to misgender transpeople aside from rudely rejecting they as a pronoun so
calling him transphobic isn't right. His problematic behaviors are not ideology
as far as I can tell, unless one sees his ardent unflinching support of free
software and a refusal to compromise in the use of proprietary software as
dangerous because that is the ideology I see him actively espousing.

On the other hand it is also very possible that he has internalized sexism that
is likely common to one degree or another due to our upbringing in a
patriarchal society and one that has historically treated women poorly and
excluded them from leadership roles especially in technical fields. It takes
work to overcome this and I suspect that a lot of the unconscious biases people
hold are generally just hidden through polite mannerisms that RMS seems to lack.

The whole GitHub post paints him as an absolute monster and I can't get behind
that when there are so many people in leadership positions in this world that
have engaged in worse and probably hold much more repugnant ideas but they
don't share them out loud.

I feel on the other hand that he has definitely creeped out a lot of women and
many people have problems with his behavior and I'd be wrong to pretend that
there isn't something there.

I also feel like the hero worship RMS can do no wrong and anyone who is
criticizing him is a liar isn't helpful in terms of healing or addressing the
real problems his behavior and tolerance of it has caused in terms of
alienating people.

On the other hand do those who signed really think everyone on the board of the
FSF should resign immediately ?

Or is that just one of these impossible demands intended to show how outraged
the signers are and to stoke the fire of division. I don't know. I think Molly
DeBlanc was the original writer and she used to work at the FSF and so perhaps
there is a lot of personal history there that I'm not aware of.

That suggestion if actually done I imagine would be catastrophic for the
organization and have bad impact on free software as a whole due to the impact
of the GPL. So I don't see why so many people are signing off on it. Even if
RMS were to step down again this wouldn't heal the rift this whole scenario has
caused.

I am hopeful that the board meetings and addition of staff and a creation of a
transparent process regarding the selection of officers will improve the
governance of the FSF.

I think the way that RMS announced his return was completely inappropriate
because of the lack of planning for the uproar it was going to cause.

I am sad that RMS felt the need to return to the board and did so in this
impromptu fashion. I think the mission of the FSF is important and I think it
is good to have an organization that is unflinching in it's support of software
and hardware freedom even if it exposes the shortcomings and compromises myself
and others make in our everyday lives.

I wish that it could pursue this mission without RMS needing to be on the board
and in a position of leadership and authority.

I can only hope that those who are now in positions of power can figure out a
way to navigate through this storm and keep the organization intact without
dismissing the valid concerns of many people and without sacrificing RMS and
what insight he can provide. I don't have much inner knowledge of the
organization and very little history so maybe this isn't a likely outcome.

I hoped that the FSF would grow beyond a dependence on RMS as the sole leader
but evidently that didn't happen and so I guess we will see what happens as
this process evolves.

I just hope that everyone can try to have some empathy for each other and
remember that those of us here are on the same side in our desire for
increasing software freedom and empowering people to have control over the
technology in their lives.

Thanks for reading my thoughts on the matter, I'm not sure if they are helpful
or just the muddled result of me spending too much time trying to process these
events without much direct first-hand knowledge or involvement. I do think that
words and what happens next with the FSF matter a lot though in terms of the
impact it will have on our society and planet as a whole so we should all try
to be mindful of that even if we can't predict the ultimate outcome. Our
movement needs to be bigger than any of our egos and we need to learn how to
treat each other better even as we fight for the freedom to share.

In solidarity,

Robbt