Re: FSF Campaigns are more important than ever - forget "idea whose time

From: Jean Louis
Subject: Re: FSF Campaigns are more important than ever - forget "idea whose time has passed" - is not true
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 2021 23:00:49 +0300

* al3xu5 <dotcommon@autistici.org> [2021-03-29 22:12]:
> Do you want facts?
> Look around you, look at what the rights and privacy of people are, look
> at the abuses of corporations, see who finances what and how free software
> is used also to limit people's freedom (think only of the apache web server
> and databases such are mysql or postgres, and how they are used by G,
> FB etc. to run their social networks and cloud services)... Opinions or
> facts?

I am sorry, we have to respect free software by its meaning, use it as
you wish. Free software is not only copyleft software. Look at list of
free software licenses: https://www.gnu.org/licenses/license-list.html

There is "The freedom to run the program as you wish, for any purpose
(freedom 0)." -- so please let us allow that freedom to corporations,
to finance how they wish and want, and to run their databases,
including to control users' data how you say. MySQL and PostgreSQL are
both free software, Apache web server is also free software.

When we speak of freedom we speak of individual freedom that YOU
individually (or individually as legal entity) are getting with the
software that you receive, that you may modify it, study it, use it as
you wish, and distribute it in its original or modified form.

Do you have the freedom with Apache? Do you have freedom to do with
PostgreSQL what you wish and want? Do you have freedom with MySQL? If
yes, the paragraph above is redundant. You maybe like Apache, but
don't like others using it. That is contradictory to basic free
software principles.

> > Without action towards free software and users' freedom we will
> > not change anything by discussing.
>
> Discussing *is* an action which can change things.

If you wish to change the software freedoms as defined, I am not
joining there. Your paragraph above says so to me. You have not
mentioned violations of free software, you mentioned how you despise
that third parties use free software. Maybe do some introspection on
above paragraph.

--
Jean

https://www.fsf.org/campaigns