Re: (renamed) Misc mailing list

From: Jean Louis
Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2022 15:39:27 +0300

* Yasuaki Kudo <yasu@yasuaki.com> [2022-04-18 15:27]:
> (I have just 'replied all' from my (God forbid, proprietary!) IPhone
> so forgive me, the addresses in To or CC are pretty arbitrary)

That is absolutely not a problem. Almost all people come to know free
software from proprietary software.

> I often wonder what my escape hatch would be, if I lived in North
> Korea or something.   I might learn how to be a good singer, a
> computer programmer, or anything else and stay away from politics.

Exactly.

> But there are many in-between states where the regime may mimic a
> shambolic 'democracy' just for the show, or strongly suppress
> unwanted opinions by murder, kidnap, etc and the majority would
> happily live without questioning too much, and not call the state
> totalitarian.  The regime will allow a certain range of public
> discourse that are irrelevant or useful to the regime.

Yes, like EU "democracy".

> In such cases, and I suspect PRC may qualify, (But I don't know the
> country well enough) the discussion of Free Software might be within
> the permitted range of discourse, as its purported aim is just to
> promote a particular form of software licensing, no big deal.

I think in PRC there is no problem with free software, except in
government sections where they should know more about it.

Russia is now officially to reject US based proprietary software,
because it is US software, and thus will focus more on free
software. Same thing may happen in China.

--
Jean

https://www.fsf.org/campaigns

In support of Richard M. Stallman