Re: Re: (renamed) Misc mailing list

From: Jean Louis
Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2022 09:32:29 +0300

* Whistler <whistler_wmz@163.com> [2022-04-18 06:26]:
> Here (in Beijing) we have been required to scan a QR code with a
> non-free covid 'contact tracing' app if we need to enter _anywhere_
> since 2020, including the residence block of my own home.

> I don't think 'complaining' to any organizations would solve the
> issue, as it's a much bigger issue than free software but free
> software is an important factor.

Does that mean that person is not allowed to be in China without
having mobile phone?

Does it mean one would basically starve and not get access to any
resources without having mobile phone?

I would say that in that case, to avoid surveillance, one could or
should, purchase one smart phone dedicated to that one specific
application as to protect oneself and data on the phone from
surveillance and abuse of information. The phone would be kept all
time off until the checkpoint, then at checkpoint turned on, to pass
it. Then turn it off after the checkpoint.

> btw, I'd say: check your privilege, as you are obviously lucky
> enough NOT affected by these issues which affects many things (not
> limited to software freedom).

I cannot understand "check your privilege". One person's situation
does not make it a privilege for other person.

--
Jean

https://www.fsf.org/campaigns

In support of Richard M. Stallman