Re: (renamed) Misc mailing list

From: andrew
Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2022 12:53:32 +0200

On 22/04/18 10:30AM, Jean Louis wrote:
> * andrew <andrew@andrewyu.org> [2022-04-18 09:40]:
> > In large cities, during lockdowns, the government sends food to people,
> > but that's quite minimal.  Most of what my family eats is still
> > retreived through online shopping, the only way possible.  And all those
> > * shopping platforms require (1) a mobile phone and (2) nonfree
> > JavaScript.
>
> That is sad.
>
> Then there is one option to keep persisting on free software and
> users' freedom in computing by promoting:
> The JavaScript Trap - GNU Project - Free Software Foundation
> https://www.gnu.org/philosophy/javascript-trap.html
> and helping people understand, as only when there is number of people
> with awareness changes will take place.

My problem is that when I say "please contact me by email because I
don't wanna use WeChat", people go like "nope".  Frustrating.

(This is related to the thread about RFD1, I'll elaborate in an updated
RFD because when I sit down and read it a few times I find it RFD1
lacking and confusing.

People in my grade be like:

  1. Why do you have a Website?  Why not "just" use Weibo (similar to
     twitter blah blah)

  2. Why do you use "ancient" technology such as RFC822 Email, IRC and
     XMPP, when we have cool "good" stuff that everyone uses like
     WeChat?

  3. What is ".org"?  All Websites I've seen end with ".com" or
     ".edu.cn".

  4. Why do you care about "freedom"?  Why do you care about privacy if
     you have nothing to hide?  Why is freedom more important than
     convenience?

Red pill provided, not taken.

(There's even a guy in my class who goes like:  Whenever I draw a GNU
head or a OpenBSD Puffy in art homework or something, he puts Windows 10
logos all the place and talks about why free software is bad.  He's the
exception (other people are genuinely asking questions) and is probably
a troll, causes a lot of damage to what I do.)

> I am sure in China there are human rights defined in laws, and one
> shall find which apply to free software and then put focus on such
> laws and prevention of human rights abuses by usage of proprietary
> software.

Part of what I do :)  I have a bunch of unpublished ones (written in
Chinese) that I might release in a batch.

> For example in some countries one may argue WHY did country allow only
> specific provider to be accepted and provide free software?

I do not undestand how "specific provider"s could be allowed only and
provide free software, can you elaborate?

> One could also find bugs, backdoors or other issues in such software
> and block it for that reason by complaining to authorities, and in
> same time provide replacement.
> One could make free software and provide replacement to authorities
> and explain why.

I'm not a practical professional programmer in any way, as I am more
interested in the fundementals of, say, functional programming.
Currently I'm also starting to do some practical programming, mainly for
propogation of the free software movement, as you suggest.