Re: (renamed) Misc mailing list

From: andrew
Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2022 15:45:35 +0200

On 22/04/18 03:09PM, Jean Louis wrote:
> * andrew <andrew@andrewyu.org> [2022-04-18 13:53]:
> > My problem is that when I say "please contact me by email because I
> > don't wanna use WeChat", people go like "nope".  Frustrating.
>
> I have that taking place, but I do not have such problem.
>
> Today I am managing project in Tanzania on distance by using XMPP
> protocol, and all people are aligned and well. It is business
> focused. There is interest and purpose, and people listen to
> instructions. While they may privately use proprietary Whatsapp -- it
> is strictly disallowed in our business.
>
> I tell to people to use XMPP, provide them the XMPP username/password
> and they connect to me.
>
> If they don't, there is no benefit.

Finally, business managers who know what they're doing exist!  Thank
you, as this definitely helps FS.

> Your friends, those who regard you with affection and trust, they will
> connect to you over different networks. That is also proof if you got
> a good connection, true rapport, true relation to that person or not.

Some do, but rare.

> So it is like a game with fish, if you have some benefit, they will
> come. I have people on XMPP for years connected.

Dangerous uptimes :) but I get your point.

> > People in my grade be like:
> >
> >   1. Why do you have a Website?  Why not "just" use Weibo (similar to
> >      twitter blah blah)
>
> I find it advanced if you have a website. The simple answer is because
> you can do it, they can't.

Their question is more along the lines of "Why do you even bother to
make a Website?"

I'll put that somewhere on <https://fcm.andrewyu.org>.  Great points!

> But even better, make a prize, like they can win something like phone
> or what? -- provided they sign up and participate. You can make a
> course about free software with questions and answers and let people
> pass through it and always offer them some next prize, and later make
> a physical group of people gathering together.

Can't think up of a prize right now, but again, that might as well work.
I don't want them to see learning FS as a utilitarian way to get prizes,
though.

> >   3. What is ".org"?  All Websites I've seen end with ".com" or
> >      ".edu.cn".
>
> Today there are hundreds of Top Level Domain extensions, kids can't
> know everything.

Only seeing .com and .edu.cn is certainlly limited.

> > 4. Why do you care about "freedom"?  Why do you care about privacy if
> >    you have nothing to hide?  Why is freedom more important than
> >    convenience?
>
> Nothing to Hide - Markkula Center for Applied Ethics
> https://www.scu.edu/ethics/privacy/nothing-to-hide/
>
> Use arguments from the above article.

Thank you!  Still need to elaborate on freedom, shouldn't be too hard.

> > (There's even a guy in my class who goes like:  Whenever I draw a GNU
> > head or a OpenBSD Puffy in art homework or something, he puts Windows 10
> > logos all the place and talks about why free software is bad.  He's the
> > exception (other people are genuinely asking questions) and is probably
> > a troll, causes a lot of damage to what I do.)
>
> That is common, I find it funny. Use ricing

for more advanced users I'll show emacs configs

and demonstrate all the
> good desktop features of GNU/Linux systems, like 3D compositors,
> something flashy. Then make special category on website to show it
> off.

Yup!

> Always include those meta tags in websites like Open Graph, Schema.org
> as to distribute it better on social networks.

I'll look those up later.  Unsure what those are.

> > > For example in some countries one may argue WHY did country allow only
> > > specific provider to be accepted and provide free software?
> >
> > I do not undestand how "specific provider"s could be allowed only and
> > provide free software, can you elaborate?
>
> In a free country government contracts should be given by tender and
> not just approved by single officers as that is related to
> corruption.
>
> Question is why did government choose to use some proprietary provider
> and endanger citizen's privacy over some of available free software?
>
> How did it come for such software to be approved? Dig out.

s/they pick some nonfree software to use/they make some nonfree software
                                         with the help of some corps/g