Re: make check is broken (again) - patch testing seeming to taking more

From: Dan Eble
Subject: Re: make check is broken (again) - patch testing seeming to taking more of my time than I like
Date: Sun, 27 Oct 2019 22:53:12 -0400

On Oct 27, 2019, at 14:06, Werner LEMBERG <address@hidden> wrote:
>> I have no idea why the problem is only being discussed instead of
>> fixed, but I'll revert

I can't speak for anyone else, but in my case, inaction was mainly due to
expecting affirmation from a more senior contributor.  Even having that, being
away from home all weekend would have prevented me from taking any action.

I don't refer to the CG as much as I probably should, but having looked at
section 3.4.10 recently, I'll say that if you want people to take swifter
action on their own in cases like this, it might help to revise this very
cautionary language:

> Please do not try breaking out from it by adding fixes on top of staging: in
> that case the whole sequence will end up in master after all, defeating the
> purpose of the system. The proper fix usually involves rewriting the staging
> branch and is best left to core developers after discussion on the developer
> list.

—
Dan