Re: make check is broken (again) - patch testing seeming to taking more

From: Dan Eble
Subject: Re: make check is broken (again) - patch testing seeming to taking more of my time than I like
Date: Mon, 28 Oct 2019 10:37:35 -0400

On Oct 28, 2019, at 08:12, David Kastrup <address@hidden> wrote:

>> I request some help to understand how I can improve my pre-commit
>> testing procedures, and where my responsibilities begin and end.
>
> Responsibilities don't end.

Fine.  When a patch is submitted for review, there ends the opportunity to
fulfill one's responsibility to test before submitting it.  My question was how
much is enough.

> We don't have as comprehensive tests as that and don't really demand
> it.  One should just be conservative.  The cost of a mistake in that
> regard may well be a revert or a timely followup patch.

This is an answer to my question, though my recent perception (which is
possibly incorrect) was that receiving some public heat was included in the
cost.  Anyway, I'm sorry that my recent contributions haven't worked for
everyone; it's not for lack of trying.

Regards,
—
Dan