Re: How to enlarge the entire Lilypond output (pdf)

From: David Wright
Subject: Re: How to enlarge the entire Lilypond output (pdf)
Date: Fri, 16 Sep 2022 10:58:20 -0500

On Fri 16 Sep 2022 at 08:02:35 (-0700), Knute Snortum wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 15, 2022 at 11:29 PM Eef Weenink <h.e.weenink@de-erve.nl> wrote:
> >
> > I use the crop function to minimize the white around the music.
>
> If you want, you can do this inside LilyPond in a paper block:
>
>   top-margin = 5\mm
>   bottom-margin = 6\mm
>   left-margin = 10\mm
>   right-margin = 10\mm

Like altering set-global-staff-size, moving the margins can change
the layout of the music, in ways that may or may not be satisfactory.
At the very least, you have to check with each alteration made.

If you're preparing scores for two modes of display, like Eff,
it may be worth considering an external program to crop the
pages of the score, like pdfcrop. The margins for a printed copy
are often constrained by the physically printable area of an
individual printer, whereas screens can display to the very edge.

But generating both from the same LP output ensures that all the
musicians will see exactly the same layout, page turns, etc.

Cheers,
David.