liquidwar-user

Re: [liquidwar-user] To upgrade or not to upgrade?

From: Christian Mauduit
Subject: Re: [liquidwar-user] To upgrade or not to upgrade?
Date: Sat, 13 Jul 2002 16:39:15 +0200

Hi,

On Sat, Jul 13, 2002 at 04:00:44PM +0200, Jan Gretschuskin wrote:
> What was this flaws, what had to be corrected?
3 bugs:

1 - a minor bug, when changing the game time in the rules menu, the
time would be displayed incorrectly.

2 - a medium bug, the input areas (to chat for instance) would stop
working under UNIX if one switched workspace. That's something I never
do when I code/test the game. But on thursday, I played and had a game
window opended in a hidden workspace. I had an eye on the server log and
whenever someone connected I would switch back to my "playing
workspace". And I wanted to chat but couldn't for the input area wouldn't
work. That's *annoying*  I discussed the point with the Allegro people
and it's an Allegro bug, due to some "ALT" key weird handling. However
5.5.4 has a hack that fixes it anyway.

3 - when joining a network game, if you click several times one the
"play" button which is on top-right, you get disconnected. It took me
some time to track that bug down. Indeed, on my side, I *never* did that
for I knew it wouldn't speed up things. But logically, other players,
seeing that the game wasn't starting fast enough, would click it and get
disconnected. Now I fixed the problem by hiding this button once you
have clicked on it. But it's true that if you do not toy with it, you'll
be fine with 5.5.2.

I believe bug 3) is a major bug, since the guy who tries out the game
will think "it's just buggy" if he gets thrown away 2 times out of 3
when he wants to connect on a game... That's for the "serious" flaw.

FYI, I'm currently coding the upcomming 5.5.5. I've found more network
bugs so I'm busy coding until Sunday at least 8-) The good point is that
the bug is the kind of thing I notice but many people wouldn't -
basically, clients can desynchronize after some time, but you need to
play a bunch of game before finding this out. The bad point is that I've
mo idea of how to fix it. Not yet 8-)

Again, I'm sorry to release versions so often, but the only _real_ way
to track down network bugs is to run the game in real conditions...

Have a nice day.

Christian.

PS: I'll be on IRC tomorrow.

--