liquidwar-user

Re: [liquidwar-user] To upgrade or not to upgrade?

From: Christian Mauduit
Subject: Re: [liquidwar-user] To upgrade or not to upgrade?
Date: Sun, 14 Jul 2002 09:42:30 +0200

Hi,

On Sun, Jul 14, 2002 at 01:42:10AM +0200, Jan Gretschuskin wrote:
> In  5.5.3 there was the bug, if you change the roundtime , in the menu it
> doesn't change.
> Maybe it is away in 5.5.4, but I didn't download it, yet.
Yep, it's gone in 5.5.4.
5.5.5 will cure a bunch of other things anyway.
In fact, from 5.4.0 to 5.5.4, if you play a network game with more than
2 players, the various clients might desynchronize - that's to say after
some time the screens on client A and client B might be different. The
difference is usually barely noticeable, but it exists. 5.5.5 will fix
this problem and calculate a "checksum" now and then to check that
everything's fine, and log a warning if not.

> I think I could translate the menues and the manual of the game to Germna.
> Would you
> inclde them?
Yesyesyes! Great idea!

However, here's my opinion about translations: the menus in German is a
great idea, but translating the manual is IMHO _too much_ work.
I regularly update the English mainstream documentation, so what would
French and German stuff become in that case. In theory I could update
the French stuff but experiences show that I do not have enough time nor
motivation to do this. So the doc in French and German would soon be
outdated, and become useless, since many people prefer an english
up-to-date doc than an outdated thing, be it in their native language.

Still, I was recently considering translating the README and the
"rules" section of the docs.
This is soemthing that won't change, since it reflects the spirit
and general rules of the game. And it might be usefull to put it on my
website, this way, French or German people would see their country flag,
click on it and get a description of the game in their native language.
Then we would explain that if they want detailed informations, they'll
need to read English stuff for it's hard for maintainers to translate
_everything_ ...

Then of course it's usefull to translate the menus. I don't know what
are your skills with the C programming language. I'll assume you have
some and simply tell you that the menu labels are *all* stored in one
file per language:
- src/langen.c is English
- src/langfr.c is French
- src/langde.c could be German 8-)
The big point in translating is to make translations that are not too
big, since they need to fit in the menus. To start with, the easiest for
you is probably to edit langfr.c - and do like French was German - for
this will enable you to test your translation without adding a "Deutsch"
button, which is a rather boring thing to do if you're not used to
Allegro.

Oh, and BTW, you should get the latest langfr.c and langen.c files
before starting the translation. They're on CVS, but if you don't have
and/or don't want to use CVS I can send them by mail.

If you need any more informations and/or help, I'm you man 8-)

Thanks very much and have a nice day.

Christian.

--
Christian Mauduit <address@hidden>     __/\__ ___