Re: [Lynx-dev] reaching gmail in basic html?

From: Steffen Nurpmeso
Subject: Re: [Lynx-dev] reaching gmail in basic html?
Date: Tue, 05 Nov 2019 21:37:32 +0100

Mouse wrote in <address@hidden>:
 |> gmail supports POP3 and IMAP access,
 |
 |My experience is that gmail supports POP and IMAP only if you are using
 |one of a few blessed clients, all of which are huge crawling GUI
 |horrors.  Sometimes not even then; for example, back when I was fussing
 |with mail for work, gmail refused to talk to the Thunderbird that was
 |installed on my work laptop, claiming its encryption was insufficient
 |in some (unspecified, as far as I can recall) respect.  So I was forced
 |onto the HTML interface.  I've been using lynx with the basic HTML view
 |and it's been working for me, but perhaps I'm just being grandfathered;
 |I haven't meddled with the settings in quite a while now.
 |
 |I really wish that job would move their mail to somewhere civilized.
 |
 |> and it appears there are old versions of Pegasus Mail available, that
 |> run on MS-DOS and support these with no Windows environment present.
 |
 |If one of them works, great, but don't be too surprised if gmail isn't
 |interested in talking to clients that old.  (If it does work, please
 |mention it here; I'd like to try again if it appears they've relaxed
 |the stringency of their stance.)

Not DOS, but my BSD Mail clone inherited support for SMTP, POP3
and IMAP, and can talk to GMail if you allow access of "lesser
secure apps" (a term i personally refuse, since the connection is
TLS secured and the password is stored pretty safe here, i'd claim
safer than the auto-complete feature of the browser, but that may
not be true).  (I also assume you are not interested in giving
Google a mobile phone number.)  The manual contains
a configuration example for GMail even.
And in the meantime GMail even supports direct SMTPS etc., rather
than upgrade of SMTP via STARTTLS command.

--steffen