Re: [MIT-Scheme-devel] MIT Scheme for Mac OS X?

From: Arthur A. Gleckler
Subject: Re: [MIT-Scheme-devel] MIT Scheme for Mac OS X?
Date: Mon, 7 Mar 2005 17:36:44 -0800

Quoting Robert Love <address@hidden>:

> On Mar 7, 2005, at 3:29 PM, <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> > Hi, is there an implementation MIT Scheme for Mac OS X?  This is
> > my primary platform and I would like to see what's available for
> > it.
>
> Sadly, I don't believe there is one.  I asked the same thing over a
> year ago.  I got one or two mumbles after I'd repeatedly asked.
>
> Upon looking at it, I see some kind of cross compile will have to
> happen.  Its not like Guile or other scheme projects that are
> written in C and you just configure/make/make install.  No, this
> thing seems to be part C, part scheme and part object files.
>
> To me this makes MIT Scheme a whole lot less useful that other
> flavors of scheme.
>
> OSX is now the largest commercial flavor of Un*x and this scheme is
> not available for it.

Unlike most other Scheme implementations, MIT Scheme has a native code
compiler, not just an interpreter or a compiler that generates C code.
This makes it fast, but porting it to a new architecture is more work
than just recompiling C code.  Two of us, including one of the
original authors of the compiler, are working on the G5 port, but we
have little spare time to do this work, so it's taking a long time.
We'll certainly announce it here when it's ready.

Please remember that this is a volunteer effort.  We're excited about
making this happen, but it takes time.