Re: [MIT-Scheme-devel] MIT Scheme for Mac OS X?

From: Taylor Campbell
Subject: Re: [MIT-Scheme-devel] MIT Scheme for Mac OS X?
Date: Wed, 9 Mar 2005 19:54:01 -0800 (PST)

On Wed, 9 Mar 2005, Robert Love wrote:

> On Mar 9, 2005, at 8:47 AM, Steven Shaw wrote:
>
> > Probably drscheme/mzscheme, chicken and gambit are ones to consider.
>
> In my case, no, I don't think so.  The reason I need/want scheme is to
> use it with a text  book by a scheme founder/fanatic.

What textbook are you referring to?  Are you certain that it depends on
MIT Scheme specifics?

>                                                        That the ads for
> the textbook don't say it is for a restricted set of platforms seems
> like false advertising at the least.

MIT Scheme has not always been restricted to the x86.  That there have
not been enough people working on it, however, to generate the effort
necessary to maintain other ports is no fault of the textbook's author.
In any case, nothing is going to be truly universally portable to all
platforms, so it would be silly to advertise every piece of software
ever written as only 'for a restricted set of platforms.'