[MIT-Scheme-devel] MIT Scheme for Mac OS X?

From: Chris Hanson
Subject: [MIT-Scheme-devel] MIT Scheme for Mac OS X?
Date: Wed, 09 Mar 2005 23:50:43 -0500

   Date: Wed, 9 Mar 2005 21:50:03 -0600
   From: Robert Love <address@hidden>

   I don't know, if the library, or set of routines that are intended
   to use with the book were in Perl, Python or Ruby that would would
   fit my definition of universal.  Even Guile might.  So, I do blame
   the authors for choosing a restrictive flavor of the language and
   then not advertising that before I bought the book.

The language isn't the issue for this book.  The book depends
critically on the mathematics library (scmutils), which restricts the
available platforms because it has never been ported to another Scheme
implementation.  (And I presume Sussman doesn't care to do the work
since he uses only this implementation.)

I've seen much of the scmutils code, and it doesn't depend very much
on MIT/GNU Scheme.  In principal, it shouldn't be hard to port, but
since it's a large library there's a non-trivial amount of work
involved.