Re: [Mldonkey-users] Re: Investigation: No download for some, full down

From: MLdonkey
Subject: Re: [Mldonkey-users] Re: Investigation: No download for some, full downloads for the other
Date: Fri, 20 Dec 2002 14:23:34 +0100

>  > 300 normal sources = 300 connections/10 minutes = 1 connection/2 seconds
>  >  for 30 files, it is 15 connections/second
>
>  > 1 connection =
>  >  TCP Connection = 80 bytes upload, 40 bytes download
>  >  edonkey hand check ~ 200 bytes upload, 200  bytes download
>  >    ~ 300 B up, 300 B down
>  > 30 files --> 15x300 = 4.5 kB/s up and down
>
>  Whoa. This would totally paralyze my ISDN line, if this is a constant
>  rate and not a burst rate.

Yes, so we can either:
- ask the user to adapt his max_sources_per_file to a lower value
(100 -> 1.5 kB/s)
- the max_connections_per_second option is used anyway and should
  limit the total number of connections to 5/s by default, is it right ?
- we could use a general limit for normal sources for all files: a new option
   max_total_sources. Coupled with download priorities, it could limit
   this bandwidth usage.
    Above 30 files x 300 sources = 9000 total sources for 4.5 kB/s
    Setting the max_total_sources to 3000 would yield to 1.5 kB/s, and
    1000 to 0.5 kB/s

With priorities, a file would receive
  'free_slots_in_max_total_sources * (file_priority /
sum_of_all_file_priorities'
  slots in the normal sources.

What about this idea ?

- MLDonkey