Re: [Mldonkey-users] Investigation: No download for some, full download

From: Neil Sedger
Subject: Re: [Mldonkey-users] Investigation: No download for some, full downloads for the other
Date: Mon, 23 Dec 2002 02:45:50 +0000

Michael Panteleit wrote:
MLdonkey <address@hidden> writes:

* Old sources: these sources have once been indicated as sources for
  the file. We couldn't connect to them to verify that, or at least,
  we could'nt connect to them for a long period. We should test them
  anyway, maybe once every 6 hours ?  They are removed after the
  max_sources_age delay.

Why not remove them after 12 hours if we have enough other sources? In
Germany a really large amount of users get a new IP every 24 hours due
to a forced disconnect by their provider. Is this true for other
countries?

No... in the UK it differs on your broadband ISP...
AFAIK all of them don't force a disconnect ever.

Some give you a fixed IP forever, some charge extra for this.

Some 'lease' you an IP - like a DHCP server does - so you can disconnect but then get the same IP back if you connect within say a week. This is what I've got and I've had the same IP I was first randomly given. Although this isn't guaranteed to not change (you have to pay extra for that guarantee!)

Some give you a random one every time you reconnect.

It has a downside... once I ran edonkey-server by mistake... and was still getting connection attempts days later because I couldn't change IP ;-)

How about making the 'test them every 6 hours' a parameter?

Maybe max_sources_age should be treated differently depending on how many other sources there are... if we find absolutely no other sources maybe we should hang on to these sources a bit longer just in case... and if there are lots of others we don't want this one taking up a max_sources slot...

Neil