[Mldonkey-users] Re: Investigation: No download for some, full download

From: Sven Hartge
Subject: [Mldonkey-users] Re: Investigation: No download for some, full downloads for the other
Date: Fri, 20 Dec 2002 20:47:14 +0100

MLdonkey <address@hidden> wrote:

>>> 300 normal sources = 300 connections/10 minutes = 1 connection/2 seconds
>>>  for 30 files, it is 15 connections/second

>>> 1 connection =
>>>  TCP Connection = 80 bytes upload, 40 bytes download
>>>  edonkey hand check ~ 200 bytes upload, 200  bytes download
>>>    ~ 300 B up, 300 B down
>>> 30 files --> 15x300 = 4.5 kB/s up and down

>>  Whoa. This would totally paralyze my ISDN line, if this is a constant
>>  rate and not a burst rate.
>
> Yes, so we can either:
> - ask the user to adapt his max_sources_per_file to a lower value
> (100 -> 1.5 kB/s)

Won't work.

> - we could use a general limit for normal sources for all files: a new option
>   max_total_sources. Coupled with download priorities, it could limit
>   this bandwidth usage.
>    Above 30 files x 300 sources = 9000 total sources for 4.5 kB/s
>    Setting the max_total_sources to 3000 would yield to 1.5 kB/s, and
>    1000 to 0.5 kB/s

How about allowing the user to set a bandwidth for network-traffic and
mldonkey automagically calculates the needed parameters for
max_total_sources etc. out of this?

BTW: Is it possible to add a line "Request sent" to the client_stats?

S°

--
BOFH excuse #322:
Your Pentium has a heating problem - try cooling it with ice cold water.