pan-users

RE: [Pan-users] Interesting stuff about yEnc

From: Gabi Davar
Subject: RE: [Pan-users] Interesting stuff about yEnc
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2002 18:06:22 +0200

After a _very_ quick read here are my thoughts.

* reliance on magic string to specify start
* bad subject line specification
* bandwidth saving is an illusion
* transition time

That's about it.
>From my experience of implementing yEnc decoding, these points are minor to
say the least. The first issue is not worth thinking about (XML doesn't use
magic strings?). Subject line specification is merely a suggestion and is
handled very well in the body itself (actual filename and part offset), and
there always will be a transition time.

But what really bugs me is his thing about BW saving begin an Illusion. I
guess being able to download three large binaries in a day on a 500MB
account instead of one is a just my imagination :-)

His solution is basically lets wait till MIME gets better. My answer Why?

Just my 2c.

-gabi