pan-users

RE: RE: [Pan-users] Interesting stuff about yEnc

From: Gabi Davar
Subject: RE: RE: [Pan-users] Interesting stuff about yEnc
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2002 19:36:37 +0200

> For the average user (on a dial-up modem and a free news
> server, provided by their ISP), yEnc doesn't offer any better
> downloads than UUEncode. This is because the modem does
> compression on all data being transmitted and UUEncoded stuff
> compresses better than yEnc.

Encoding differences are moot when considering small files.
But yEnc would not have become so popular in binary newsgourps if it gave no
real advantage. Fact is it _is_ a far better way to post large binaries. It
make the binaries download faster, and it is quota friendlier. This is point
is beyond any dispute and it overcomes any of the minor shortcoming of the
specifications itself.

-gabi