pan-users

Fw: RE: [Pan-users] Interesting stuff about yEnc

From: Toby Inkster
Subject: Fw: RE: [Pan-users] Interesting stuff about yEnc
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2002 16:57:52 +0000

On Mon, 25 Mar 2002 18:06:22 +0200
Gabi Davar <address@hidden> wrote:

GD> But what really bugs me is his thing about BW saving begin an GD> Illusion.
I guess being able to download three large binaries in a day GD> on a 500MB
account instead of one is a just my imagination :-)

That's more a "quota" advantage than a "bandwidth" advantage.

For the average user (on a dial-up modem and a free news server, provided by
their ISP), yEnc doesn't offer any better downloads than UUEncode. This is
because the modem does compression on all data being transmitted and UUEncoded
stuff compresses better than yEnc.

--
Toby A Inkster, Esq., South Ealing, London, England.
Linux 2.4.19-pre3-bluesmoke. Up 8 days, 3:23

BOFH excuse #104:
backup tape overwritten with copy of system manager's favourite CD