pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Pan needs some serious fixing

From: Wolf J . Flywheel
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Pan needs some serious fixing
Date: Wed, 17 Jul 2002 19:03:04 -0400

On Wednesday 17 July 2002 18:25, Horacus wrote:

        <nitpick> Does Calypso know how to quote?  I'm unable to tell your text
from Charles' without going and reading his previous mail. </nitpick>

> you struck a nerve. Call me a criminal, but like a lot of people out
> there, I download music and movies from the Usenet. Worst yet, I don't
> feel guilty about it at all, hehe. (hardened criminal?)Now, most of
> those movies are posted in 15Mb chunks, which are multipart. Pan only
> gets the first partand ignores the rest. It may take a while to
> download 15Mb chunk and if there is about 50 of them, which is typical
> for a CD size post, it will be tedious to sit there and click save for
> every article.Another reason for that feature is that I may want to
        [...etc...]

        Actually Pan has been *optimized* for downloading binaries; you have
simply not found the same way to do it as everyone else has.  (Please
note that Charles did say he's going to make "Flag" work the way you
expect, but at the moment it only grabs the first article of a
multi-part.  I do believe it's also going to become smarter about letting
you flag articles in one group, then read another, and have all flagged
articles from all groups download at once... but that could just be a
rumor.)
        The way most of us do it is, we select a range of articles by clicking
or swiping, then tell Pan to save their attachments.[1]  You don't have
to do it one at a time!  :)  If you don't want your downloads to start
until you finish tagging stuff, a good workaround is to first refresh the
groups you intend to read, so you have up-to-date headers; then set Pan
to "Offline" status, and go read your stuff and tell Pan to save
attachments.  When you set Pan to "Online" again, all your queued
downloads will begin.  Of course, working this way you can't read any
articles that haven't been downloaded yet.

[1] Right-click and hit "Save attachments" to save them to your
designated download directory (set either globally or individually,
through group "Properties"), or hit "Save attachments as" to put them
somewhere else or not decode them or whatever.

> mess, but I'll have to say this. You being a developer of Pan, haveyou
> actually used Pan for anything else but reading "news"? Usenet these
> days is much more than just for"reading articles". Binary groups are
> probably the bulk of Usenet and a newreader has to handle them tobe of

        Ack!!! Thphtfff!!!  Go thou and readeth Pan's home page, fer cryin' out
loud, or the list archives, then perhaps you might see the relationship
between Pan and binaries!

> any use.As for filing a bug report, well, I'll try, but that bugzilla
> form looked pretty scary, I'm not a programmerand don't know if I'll do
> it right. But I'll try. Although it's not realy a bug but a lack of
> feature.

        You don't have to be a programmer... heck, I'm not, and I managed to
submit a few.  :)  BTW one of the "severity" levels in Bugzilla is
"Enhancement" -- meaning you can make suggestions about how you think
things should work, but that arent't necessarily bugs.

> good for reading articles.I don't want to unfairly compare Pan to
> Agent, but some minor comparison must be made since in my opinionPan
> should strive to be somewhat like Agent. I can see from your design of

        Why not compare them?  The developers do!  (Again, right up there on
the
main web page.)  I came to Linux from OS/2 and have never used a Windows
newsreader so I cannot compare Pan to Agent or Gravity, but other people
do.

> caliber as Agent which is a commercial app but after following Panfor
> almost two years I find its progress slow. specialy since it's the last
> application I need to complete my transition to Linux.RegardsHoracus

        Pan has made great progress over the past year; I can't speak for the
time period before that.  Hey, wait -- you said you have followed it for
almost two years, but you didn't know that it's great for downloading
binaries, or how to use it to do so?  Um...  *blink*

        Does anyone else smell a troll?

- --
// Carl Hudkins :: ICQ 5723399 :: PGP 50238D9E
//
// "When two hydrogen atoms love each other very much,
//  they bond with an oxygen atom..."  --Trance Gemini, Andromeda