pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Changing quickkeys

From: Duncan
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Changing quickkeys
Date: Wed, 15 Jan 2003 02:07:55 -0700

On Tue 14 Jan 2003 14:57, Eric Ortega posted as excerpted below:
> Can someone refresh my memory as to how to do this?
>
> I'm finding that the "r" as in, reply via email, and the "f" as in,
> followup post, are really close together.  I'd like to change the "r" to
> "R".

You are SUPPOSED to be able to point at the menu item with the mouse (don't
click it, just open the menu and point at the appropriate entry), and hit the
key combo you'd like to use.  With GTK2 versions, that's supposed to require
an entry in the appropriate gtkrc-2.0 or whatever file,
"gtk-can-change-accels = 1", or it won't let you change them.  However, here
on Mandrake 9.1 Cooker, some update or other apparently disabled that, as I
can't do it any more, despite having that entry and having been able to do it
in the past.  (Hmm..  Haven't tried in a few weeks, altho I update several
times a week.  Maybe they fixed it by now? ...  Still, the below works, now
that I took the time to sort it all out.)

Thus, the way I do it is by editing the ~/.pan/data/accels.txt file, as
appropriate.  Now, this file is simply a raw dump of the PAN menus in no
particular order, and if you reorder it, it will return to unordered at the
next PAN quit, so I recommend either using the find function on your favorite
editor, or doing what I did, saving the file as something else after ordering
it to your liking, and making your changes, then copying it over the one that
will be overwritten by PAN.  Of course, this must be done with PAN not
running, so it loads the new version rather than saving the old version over
your work, when it is closed.  Here, I arranged the entries in the order they
are in the PAN menu, so I could find them, and then added as comments
(preceded by a semicolon) at the end, a table of all used hotkeys, so I
didn't have to worry about whether something was already used or not.  The
table looked like this:

;key    norm    shft    ctl     c-s
;a      a       s-a     c-a     cs-a
;b      b                       cs-b
;c      c

That would mean a, shft-a, ctl-a, and ctl-sft-a were all used, but the shift
and control b combos were free, and all but the unmodified c were free.
Of course, whenever I change an entry, I then update the key table at the end,
as well, and then copy my ordered file over the accels.txt file again.

--
Duncan
Benjamin Franklin