pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: pan-windows-beta-4-setup.exe now available

From: Gollum
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: pan-windows-beta-4-setup.exe now available
Date: Fri, 17 Jan 2003 18:48:43 +0100

Charles Kerr wrote:
> Please give it a try and let me know how it goes.

I just had the opportunity to try beta 4 on a couple of Windoze computers:

1. Windows 2000, PII 400 MHz, 128 MB RAM
2. Windows NT4, Celeron 500 MHz, 128 MB RAM

I haven't seen anyone mentioning Pan on NT yet, so I thought that might be
of interest.

Installation went fine on both.

Reading and posting works.

Pan crashed once on the Win 2k box after reading a few posts.

When reading a post with a JPEG image, the image isn't shown, and a window
pops up, telling me that it can't find libjpeg.dll, listing various paths
where it had tried.  This happens on both computers.  There's no
libjpeg.dll anywhere on the hard disks, BTW.  I was able to save the image.
The image does show up in OE.

I didn't try opening any binaries when I tried beta 2 on Windows 98SE a
few days ago, so I don't know if this applies to Windows 9x.

The speed was acceptable on the Windows 2000 box.  (I've only browsed a
couple of test groups and the Pan mailing-lists on news.gmane.org.)

On Windows NT, Pan is quite slow when updating the screen, even though the
two computers have similar performance.

I've seen some oddities when using the built-in filters, e.g:
- Click Filter -> Show Threads with Matching Articles.
- Then click the button for "My Articles".
- Open the Filter menu again.
Result: The first selections has been replaced with "Show Matching
Articles and Replies".  I haven't tried this in 0.13.3.90 for Linux yet.