pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Re: Scoring update

From: Duncan
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Re: Scoring update
Date: Sat, 22 Feb 2003 07:22:33 -0700

On Sat 22 Feb 2003 02:54, Paul Hudson posted as excerpted below:
> It's a bit more tricky than it looks. Starting is easy (match, say, the
> troll's name). Then Pan needs to save a temporary rule to kill all articles
> that mention the original that message-id in References. But in long
> threads, that original message-id will drop off the list in References:

The first part isn't so difficult.  If it were me doing the coding, from not
having the functionality at all, I'd put that in, but leave the drop-off
stuff until later, figuring one could always reapply the filter when the
thread got long enough.  It'd still kill most of the noise, but the filter
would have to be reapplied at times.  Again, the temporary thing could be
permanent at first, requiring manual "weeding" of the filters periodically.
However, support for expiration and/or gradual fading of scoring would be
desirable in other areas as well, say like the expiring kill filter some
readers offer.  Obviously, this would need to be an option, as many scorings
would need to be permanent.

--
Duncan
Benjamin Franklin