pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Scoring on Message-ID & arbitrary headers

From: Brad Sims
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Scoring on Message-ID & arbitrary headers
Date: Sat, 22 Feb 2003 13:17:19 -0600

On Friday 21 February 2003 06:31 pm, Charles Kerr wrote:
> I will eventually get to scoring/filtering on arbitrary headers,
> it's not a high priority.  This is a lot more expensive in newsreaders
> than in mailers, because instead of having the entire message like
> mailers do, Pan only has what XOVER gives us -- number, message-id,
> references, author, subject, lines, byte count, and usually xrefs.
> Anything else is going to cost you a round trip to the server, or
> a painfully slow search through cached articles.

Perhaps make it an option to turn on expensive scoring (IE arbitary
headers). That way it would normally just use the XOVER, but
you would have the option to use expensive scoring if you really
wanted it . (hehe mabye a dialog pop-up "This /will/ slow things
way the heck-down... I mean OE speed, buddy. Are ya sure ya
really wanna do this? [yes] [no]" )

--
The real fun of living wisely is that you get to feel smug about it
-- Hobbes