pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Scoring update

From: Duncan
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Scoring update
Date: Fri, 21 Feb 2003 17:03:11 -0700

On Fri 21 Feb 2003 03:43, Brian Morrison posted as excerpted below:
> Any chance of being able to do this based on article ID, so for instance
> if article-ID from bozo is in the References header then score =-9999? I
> find I often see quoted crap from morons that I want to filter out in
> certain threads but scoring simply on poster's identity doesn't help.

If you look closely at the screenshot, it's already there.  See the criteria
area References checkbox?  See the message ID listed in the textbox (grayed
out because the checkbox isn't checked, but it's there)?

I commented in the devel list thread on this that I liked that feature,
although from exactly the opposite reason you do.  Thread can be set to
ignore, now, and ignore subthread would improve on that, but the binary
yes/no arbitrariness of the current solution doesn't offer enough flexibility
for me.  If I could score anything with specific msg-id in the references as
-100, say, but had already scored some favorite authors as +200, it would
score the general (sub-)thread down out of display range, except for authors
I like to follow, which is exactly the type of behavior I want.

I'd still like to see filtering/scoring on arbitrary headers, however, as well
as message body content, and anywhere in the post (headers and body).  KMail
allows this sort of filtering, and I find it very helpful.  Scoring would be
even MORE flexible.  (As an example, I'd like the abilty to match on
nntp-posting-host, where present, as that is often far less user changeable
than author and subject, which can be repeatedly changed to avoid PAN's
currently extremely limited filtering.)

--
Duncan
Benjamin Franklin