pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] choosing news server

From: walt
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] choosing news server
Date: Mon, 03 Jul 2006 14:23:04 -0700

David Shochat wrote:
> How do I choose which server I want to use in 0.102? I had no trouble
> adding a second server, but I can't find any menu item for switching to it.

I asked the same question a few weeks ago.  The answer is that
pan will use *all* of the servers (as needed) to fetch complete
articles.

You can tell pan in which order you want it to try the servers
by giving each server a 'rank'.  In the Edit/Servers dialog you
can choose only between 'primary' and 'fallback', but if you're
willing to edit ~/.pan2/servers.xml you will see that each server
has a numerical rank which you can change to suit yourself.

Telling pan which server(s) to use for posting is still on the
ToDo list.  (But I'm assuming that the same 'rank' applies for
posting as well.)