pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Aggregating servers (was Re: choosing news server)

From: walt
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Aggregating servers (was Re: choosing news server)
Date: Tue, 04 Jul 2006 18:48:51 -0700

Charles Kerr wrote:
[...]
> I have to admit this thread baffles me.  For the most part,
> aggregated servers will "just work"...

This first came to my attention when one of my premium servers
was having timeout problems (reason still unknown to me).  But
pan would grind to an absolute standstill for (about 60 seconds,
I recall) until the server timed out.  This happened every two
or three minutes, so it was extremely annoying.  The timeouts
were *not* pan's fault -- the problem with pan was that I could
do absolutely nothing about it.  Switching servers just was not
an option.

> For a better fix, I like Walt's "disable server" toggle idea.
> It would be in the server edit dialog.  Pan could also show a
> "do you want to disable server?" dialog when it's unable to connect.
> Walt, David, does this sound right?

I vote *yes* on this idea (of course ;o)

Thanks!