pan-users

[Pan-users] Re: Aggregating servers (was Re: choosing news server)

From: Duncan
Subject: [Pan-users] Re: Aggregating servers (was Re: choosing news server)
Date: Wed, 5 Jul 2006 14:43:12 +0000 (UTC)

Jeff Berman <address@hidden> posted
address@hidden, excerpted below, on
Wed, 05 Jul 2006 04:07:16 -0700:

> Brad, I guess a work around might be to write a small
> front end launcher for pan that merely swaps out
> various .pan2 directories for the one containing the
> groups you want to work with.

That's the traditional Unix(R) approach.  Make each little tool scriptable
(like PAN is a bit now with command line options), and able to do its job
well, and have a powerful scripting language/system with pipes,
redirection, stdin/stdout/errout, etc, that a user can use to glue
everything together in a customized fashion that "just works" the way they
want it to.  I've done that sort of thing for years, back on MSWormOS
using batch files (heh, prompting for input a character at a time =8^)
and later WinBatch (from WilsonWindowWare) and finally MSVB, and now on
Linux with bash, or if one get's fancy, with (gtk|k|x)?dialog and/or
python/perl/whatever.

I was just going to suggest it, then saw you already had.  =8^)