pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] Feedback, Please: sorting threads by date of newest arti

From: walt
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] Feedback, Please: sorting threads by date of newest article
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2006 12:42:47 -0700

Charles Kerr wrote:
[...]
> I can't think of any /need/ to sort by the oldest post.
> Maybe the cleanest fix is that, when sorting by date in the header pane,
> threads are *always* sorted by the date of the thread's newest post.
> IIRC this is how Thunderbird behaves, too.
>
> Can anyone think of a reason for Pan to /not/ behave that way?

Well, thinking of multipart binaries:  sometimes someone will
reply to one part of a multipart post, which may begin a lengthy
thread of text replies to a binary part.  I'm wondering how this
change might affect the end result in a case like that.

Other than that, I would vote Yes to your suggestion.

The subject of threading in binaries groups has always confused
me anyway, and I've never figured out how to do exactly what I
really want:  i.e. sort posts in roughly chronological order,
yet not intermingle multiparts which were posted by different
people during the same time period.  I can 'de-mingle' the parts
by sorting on Subject, but then the chronology is destroyed.