pan-users

Re: [Pan-users] clarification on sorting threads by date...

From: Charles Kerr
Subject: Re: [Pan-users] clarification on sorting threads by date...
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2006 18:22:03 -0500

Artur Jachacy wrote:
Charles Kerr wrote:

But stating it in those clear terms, though, I realized:
I can't think of any /need/ to sort by the oldest post.
Maybe the cleanest fix is that, when sorting by date in the header pane,
threads are *always* sorted by the date of the thread's newest post.
IIRC this is how Thunderbird behaves, too.

Not for me.

Can anyone think of a reason for Pan to /not/ behave that way?

Because that's not how it's been done. That should be reason enough.

Maybe I'm not expaining it right?

http://img206.imageshack.us/img206/927/thunderbird2vt.png
is a screenshot of Thunderbird sorting threads by date.
It's showing the behavior I'm proposing that Pan adopt.

If Thunderbird were to sort threads by the date of the first post,
"Suse RPM 0.103"                        (07/09, 12:39 PM) would /follow/
"[Pan-users] Pan 0.103 on AMD64 Linux"  (07/08, 05:07 PM), but doesn't.

Why does the (07/08 05:07) article come later?  Because it got a
followup at (07/09 03:00 PM) from Walt after the Suse RPM mail came in.
Thunderbird is sorting threads by the date of their newest article.

Google news does it too, though that may be an argument
/against/ implementing it. ;)

cheers,
Charles